Traditional Worship Service - April 4 - 9am
Posted on Mar 29, 2021 by Amy Willis
Click here to watch the 9am service April 4, 2021
Order of Service – April 4, 2021 – 9:00am
John Knox Presbyterian Church
Welcome/Announcements/Passing of Peace – Cindy Hiday
The peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you! Peace be with you!
Call to Worship: - Cindy Hiday
Leader: Do not be afraid: Jesus is risen!
People: The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!
Leader: This is the day which the Lord has made.
People: Let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Leader: The crucified one is risen from the dead.
People: We are witnesses: Christ is risen indeed!
Hymn #232 – “Jesus Christ Is Risen Today” (verses 1, 3, 4)
Jesus Christ is risen today,
our triumphant holy day,
who did once upon the cross,
suffer to redeem our loss.
But the pains which he endured,
our salvation have procured.
Now above the sky he's King,
where the angels ever sing.
Sing we to our God above,
praise eternal as God's love.
Praise our God, ye heavenly host,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
“Jesus Christ Is Risen today” Stansas 1–3, Lyra Davidica, 1708; stanza 4, Charles Wesley, 1740 Spanish trans. Juan Bautista Cabrera, alt.; Korean trans. The Christian Literature Society of Korea
Lyra Davidica, 1708; adapt. from The Compleat Psalmodist, 1749
Prayer of Confession – Cindy Hiday
All-knowing, all-powerful God, we confess that, even on this most holy day, we are unable to believe in the victory over death shown to us in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, our Lord. We confess our utter dependence on you not only for life but also for faith, hope, and love. Without your astonishing appearance to our ancestors and your stunning presence throughout the ages, we would be lost. Forgive us and transform us, that in every way our work and prayer will make whole what is broken and give peace on earth. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon – Cindy Hiday
Leader: Who is in a position to condemn? Only Christ, and Christ died for us, Christ rose for us,
Christ reigns in power for us, Christ prays for us.
People: Anyone who is in Christ is a new creation; the old life has
gone, a new life has begun.
Leader: Friends, believe the good news of the gospel:
People: In Jesus Christ, we are forgiven
Sung Response: “Glory Be to the Father” – Hymn #581
Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost;
as it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Trad. liturgical text
Greatorex, Henry W. (1813-1858)
Children’s Message – William Almodovar
Prayer for Illumination – Cindy Hiday
Open our eyes and soften our hearts, O God, through the work of your Holy Spirit, that in the hearing of your Word we may receive new life. Amen.
Scripture: Mark 16: 1-8 – Cindy Hiday
When the sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb. They had been saying to one another, ‘Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance to the tomb?’ When they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had already been rolled back. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man, dressed in a white robe, sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed. But he said to them, ‘Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Look, there is the place they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you.’ So they went out and fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had seized them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.
This is the Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Special Music - “Take My Life” – Debbie Mansell
Words and Music by Chris Tomlin and Louie Giglio
© 2003 sixsteps Music, worshiptogether.com songs
Used by permission CCLI License # 1504183
Message – “Hope Over Fear” – Frank Mansell
Hymn #240 – “Alleluia! Alleluia! Give Thanks” (verses 1, 2, 4)
Give thanks to the risen Lord.
Give praise to his name
Jesus is Lord of all the earth.
He is the King of creation. (Refrain)
Spread the good news o'er all the earth:
Jesus has died and has risen. (Refrain)
Come let us praise the living God,
joyfully sing to our Savior. (Refrain)
“Alleluia! Alleluia! Give Thanks” text: Donald Fishel, 1971
Music: Donald Fishel, 1971; arr. Betty Pulkingham and Donald Fishel, 1979
Text © 1973 International Liturgy Publications
Music © 1973 International Liturgy Publications all rights reserved
Reprinted with permission under ONELICENSE #A-732235 all rights reserved
Affirmation of Faith: - Lisa Crismore
This is the good news which we have received, in which we stand, and by which we are saved, if we hold it fast: that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day, and that he appeared first to the women, then to Peter, and to the Twelve, and then to many faithful witnesses. We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God. Jesus Christ is the first and the last, the beginning and the end; he is our Lord and our God. Amen.
Joys and Concerns / Prayers of the People / Lord’s Prayer – Lisa Crismore
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Moment of Giving
Hymn #248 – “Christ Is Risen! Shout Hosanna!” (all verses)
Christ is risen! Shout Hosanna!
Celebrate this day of days!
Christ is risen! Hush in wonder:
all creation is amazed.
In the desert all-surrounding,
see, a spreading tree has grown.
Healing leaves of grace abounding
bring a taste of love unknown.
Christ is risen! Raise your spirits
from the caverns of despair.
Walk with gladness in the morning.
See what love can do and dare.
Drink the wine of resurrection,
not a servant, but a friend.
Jesus is our strong companion.
Joy and peace shall never end.
Christ is risen! Earth and heaven
nevermore shall be the same.
Break the bread of new creation
where the world is still in pain.
Tell its grim, demonic chorus:
"Christ is risen! Get you gone!"'
God the First and Last is with us.
Sing Hosanna everyone!
“Christ Is Risen! Shout Hosanna!” text: Brian Wren, 1984
Ludwig van Beethoven; adapt. Edward Hodges, 1842, alt.
Text © 1986 Hope Publishing Company all rights reserved
Reprinted with permission under ONELICENSE #A-#A-732235 all rights reserved
Benediction and Blessing – Frank Mansell
- Please keep your mask on at all times.
- Please only hum on the hymns/praise songs – please do not sing.
- We have had a long and wonderful partnership with Pyoca Camp and Retreat Center in Brownstown, Indiana, and we are excited to support them in their ongoing ministry with children, youth, and adults. We are going to welcome Molly DeWitt as our guest preacher on Sunday, April 18, as she will share her message virtually with us at both worship services that day. We will also hear about how Pyoca is working hard to make this summer’s camping season safe and fun for children and youth, especially since they had to cancel summer camp last year due to the pandemic.
- Summer will be here before you know it – what better way to spend a week of summer than at camp! Pyoca Camp and Retreat Center has a wonderful offering of programs this summer for children and youth everywhere from 3-days to a full week. You can learn more about what is offered this summer, and register online, at Pyoca’s website at: www.pyoca.org. Pyoca is offering camps this summer with reduced capacity and safety protocols in place. If you wish to participate, please register now – spaces are filling-up fast!
- The Margaret Wilson Scholarship applications will be mailed out on April 5 to all prospective students. The applications for the scholarships will be available on the church’s website at www.johnknox.org and in the office for pick-up. Please be aware that the deadline for the scholarship applications to be submitted is May 9. They MUST be postmarked by May 6 or emailed to Lisa Crismore by May 9. If emailing your application, please use If you have any questions, please contact Lisa.
- The Presbytery of Whitewater Valley will be ordaining Jillian Flynn to be a minister of the Word and Sacrament at an ordination service on Sunday, April 18, at 4:00pm, at John Knox Presbyterian Church. This service will be led by a commission of the presbytery, chaired by the Moderator of Presbytery, Ruling Elder Mike Whitfield of First Presbyterian Church, Shelbyville. The service will be held in-person and online, streamed on our Facebook Page and church website. We will have more details about the service in our weekly emails and Sunday morning announcements leading up to April 18. This service represents the culmination of Jillian’s call to serve in ministry as a hospital chaplain at this time, and we are so excited to be able to host this special service at John Knox!
- Now that vaccinations for Covid-19 are available for people over 16 years of age, you can go to vaccine.coronavirus.in.gov to register for an appointment if you are eligible. If you need assistance, feel free to call Amy Willis on her cell (317)-250-6948 and she is happy to help you navigate the online registration process.
Lejo (Mary Harmeson’s son); Joy (Carol Mckeown’s friend): Ana (Karen Doty’s friend); Michael Martinez (The son of Rev. Felipe Martinez pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Columbus, Indiana); Mike Bass (Friend of Hayden Flynn); Minerva Nicholas (Susan Graves’ mother); Jack, Mark, and Gary Jordan; Jan Main (Debbie Mansell's aunt); Larry Detweiler (Amy Winton's step-father); Beryl Crismore (Lisa Crismore’s mother-in-law); Barbara Brown; J. & Wanda Stanley; Ruth Ann Hogsett; Alberta Montgomery; Jim Dean (Pat Dean’s husband); Jim Clifton; Russel Heath; Alice McGinnis (Mary Carter’s Mother); Nell Fields (Mother of Vicki Breece); Nilcéia Regina Oliveira (Paula Lamey’s mother); Prayer requests will be listed for 3 weeks, then removed in order to keep this list timely & pertinent. However, if your request is an on-going concern, please indicate that on your request.
- Karen Doty was very thankful to get her work computer equipment installed and then go hiking with friends in Brown County.
- Rebecca Hurt is thankful that she was able to speak with two of her cousins.
- Pam Clayton is feeling better. Please continue praying, she still has a long way to go.
- Jim Dean is thankful for all your cards and prayers that brought him home.
- Frank Mansell is grateful for the Landscaping Team. They do a wonderful job taking care of the church grounds!
- Vicki Breece is grateful she was able to go see her mom Nell Fields in her room at Wellbrook.
- We are grateful for everyone that has been able to come to church safely after being fully vaccinated.
Easter Flower Dedications
Given by: In Memory of:
Betty Hartman James A. Hartman & John Watson Jefferson
Donna Pults Joan Love & Ann Devlin
Beverly Ray Marguerite Mitchell
Dick & Pam Herman John & Sue Herman, Lewis & Ethel Mayeu
Susan & Tim Graves Matthew Timothy Graves
Jim & Bonnie Graves Jon & Matthew Graves
Greg Hart George & Wanda Hart
Diane Whitaker Don Flannery & Fuller Whitaker
Goehrig Orr Betty Lillian Orr
Ann Hamel Grandparents, Parents, Nephew, & Brother-in-law
Mary Carter Jerry Carter
Gary & Cindy Hiday Ruth & Jerry Watson, Betty & John Hiday
Nancy Orme Dennis Orme
Dan & Linda Bourne Bob & Nancy Bourne, Joe Hanley & Jackie Larence
Jeff & Susan Roberts Harold & Clara Roberts
Octavious & Gulzar Salik Our loved ones
Lois Charboneau Don, Darrin, Maria & Kyle Charboneau
Jim & Barb Williams Bonnie E. Williams & Janet K. Tower
The Mansell Family Steve Main & Frank Mansell, Jr.
Julia & Norma Pratt Charles B. Pratt
Rick & Judy Ryan Our Parents & Grandparents
Given by: In Honor of:
Dan & Linda Bourne Phyllis Hanley